The best way to Tie-Dye A Shirt In 12 Easy Steps
When our Life Day by day team checked out the topic, they have been surprised to be taught that it wasn’t practically as complicated as they’d believed.
Offered you’re prepared to take a position a little time, it is feasible to supply some really beautiful colours and designs with minimal effort and never a lot cash.
Principally, you simply need a white T-shirt, some dye, somewhat endurance, and to follow the 12 steps beneath.
In fact, as the saying goes, ‘practice makes perfect’, so you may must experiment slightly earlier than reaching precisely what was in your imagination.
But the beauty of the tie-dyeing process is that it’s virtually impossible to make a mistake. There’s no such thing – merely a barely different shade mix or sample, which can turn out better than your original idea!
So, why not give it a try? We’ve made it easy for you with our easy step-by-step directions. Comply with them, and you’ll know learn how to tie-dye a shirt in minutes
Step 1: The shirt
– The perfect shirts to use are made from one hundred% cotton.
– 50% cotton/50% polyester is possible but the colours usually are not so sturdy.
– One hundred% polyester is not going to work – the dye will wash off.
Step 2: Your selection of dyes
– Dye kits from craft shops come with every part you need.
– They comprise rubber gloves, rubber bands, soda ash,urea, and easy to observe directions.
– The dyes are in squeeze bottles, just add warm water.
Step three: The Instruments
– In case you don’t use a a pre-packaged equipment, you’ll need the following
– Procion dye, rubber bands, rubber gloves, squeeze bottles,urea, soda ash, and paper towels.
– A good dye remover.
Step 4: Soaking the shirt
– Soak the shirt in a solution of warm water and soda ash for about 10 minutes.
– Remember to have the right mixture of soda ash.
– Don’t use water that is simply too scorching or too chilly.
– Add a couple of tablespoonfuls of frequent salt to the mix.
– Make sure the mixture is thoroughly dissolved earlier than including the shirt.
– Wring the shirt out totally.
– Wear rubber gloves at all times as the soda is caustic and will sting.
Step 5: Tying v neck or crew neck t shirt a rainbow swirl pattern
– Place the shirt on a flat surface.
– Place it right facet down, for those who need a sharper sample on the front of the shirt.
– Reverse it if your favor the sample on the again.
– Place a dowel rod in the middle of the shirt and start turning till you could have a nice flat pie shape.
– You can rotate the pin in either path.
Step 6: Attaining a Pie
– The shirt must be shaped like a pie at this stage.
– Take away the dowel and put on one rubber band.
– The trick is to place the band, without disturbing the shirt.
– Strive to ensure that the pie is agency and uniform.
Step 7: Be a part of the band
– Now slip other rubber bands over the pie in numerous directions.
– Flip the pie over and add more bands.
– It is very important retain the shape.
– Around 10 bands can be sufficient.
– Keep the whole thing as flat as you possibly can.
– The shirt is now ready for dyeing.
Step eight: The Dyeing process
– Cover your working surface with plastic.
– It’s good to wear outdated clothes and footwear as the dyes will stain your clothes and all the pieces else.
– Prepare paper towels or rags rags to mop up spills.
Step 9: Really utilizing the dyes
– Place your shirt “pie” on some paper towels on top of a paper plate in your working floor.
– This makes it simpler to flip the entire thing over when dying the other aspect.
– Wear rubber gloves!
– You solely really want three fundamental colors: fuchsia red, turquoise and lemon yellow.
– To make a rainbow swirl shirt, consider your “pie” is an actual pie chart.
– Working from the middle of the shirt, dye one third of the shirt lemon yellow.
– Dye the second third of the shirt fuchsia purple and the ultimate third, turquoise.
– Don’t leave any white spaces displaying – the “white” is hiding throughout the folds.
– Overlap the colors on the edges of every part to achieve other rainbow colors.
– All the time v neck or crew neck t shirt put yellow – (or other mild colored dyes) – first. If you happen to cowl it up by mistake, it is going to change to one thing else (either orange or green) and also you can’t reverse the process.
– When you may have completed the first side, flip the whole thing over.
– Apply the dye on the second aspect in the identical approach..
Step eleven: Now you simply have to wait
– After completing the dyeing, put the shirt into a zip lock bag and seal it up tight.
– Put the bag in a heat place and leave it for At least 24 HOURS!
Step 12: Unwrap the shirt carrying rubber gloves!
– Take the shirt out of the bag.
– Rinse the shirt off beneath cold operating water.
– You can remove the bands earlier than or after rinsing.
– Be careful. If that is your first attempt at tie-dyeing, you’ll be amazed at the amount of dye that pours out as you are rinsing.
– Keep rinsing till the water runs clear – it could take some time.
– For those who followed the instructions, the beautiful sample will likely be revealed.
– Now wash your shirt in the conventional method in a washing machine (by itself for the primary time).
– Some individuals prefer to continue washing the shirts two or 3 times on their very own, earlier than trusting them with other clothes.